Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spring planting


So tomorrow is the first day of spring here in Melbourne, Hooray! To celebrate* this, I'm going to head to the hardware sore to buy some supplies and seeds to try to grow some flowers from scratch - for the first time ever! I have a few plants and flowers on that live on my balcony, most of which were given to me by my boyfriend's mother (she recently moved into a smaller apartment) but this will be the first time I have actually planted anything myself, hooray!

I've been doing a little google search and this site tells me that the following flowers are good to plant in September (it is a site for Adelaide, but Melbourne is pretty close by, should be OK, right?!) :

Ageratum, Alyssum, Aster, Begonia (bedding), Carnations, Celosia, Chrysanthemum, Cockscomb, Coleus, Cosmos, Dahlia (seed), Dianthus, Everlasting Daisy(acroclinium), lmpatiens, Marigolds (African), Nasturtium, Petunias, Phlox, Portulaca, Salvia, Snapdragon (Antirrhinum), Sunflower(Helianthus), Torenia, Verbena, Zinnia.

I'm not even sure what some of these are, and obviously they need to be suitable to plant in pots as I have only a small outdoor space, but at least I have a list to take with me tomorrow, it's a start! Plus, I really like the idea of having sunflowers looking back at me when I get up in the morning.

* I'm also going to celebrate by wearing a pretty floral dress with no tights! finally!!

image via here - see those bare legs? that's totally going to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment